Friday 4 June 2010

The last graph for five weeks?


I am singlespeeding the Tour Divide. So just one gear for all that way. Deciding which one has been interesting and probably a bit too geeky. The other day when I was riding I decided plotting how ratios differ would be 'interesting'. Some may find it so anyway and I am afraid I am one of them.


I am riding a 29r bike with a gear set up of 32:18 this is about the equivalent of the standard 2:1 ratio of a 26r, and lies on the red line on the above graph. Sheldon Brown takes into account crank length but I am not going to go there (just yet). I am going to have another glass of wine instead.

2 comments:

  1. Scarily geeky in fact - I'm sure after a few days of solitude you will be calculating 'gain ratios' in your head!

    Bon courage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it Heather. I'll be with you in spirit. Hope the bike holds up!

    ReplyDelete