Wednesday 2 June 2010

What it is

The Tour Divide is a 2745 mile 'race' that starts in Banff, Canada and finishes at Antelope Wells, a US/Mexico border point. The route follows the established Great Divide mountain bike trail. It normally takes people two months or so to ride it in one hit, the race record stands at under 18 days for the men's record and just over 24 days for the women's record.

Racers must be self-supported in that we each will carry everything we individually need. We can buy stuff in shops and stay in motels etc. but this won't always be possible so I will be carrying kit to sleep out when I need to.

I say 'race' because this ride is going to be so much more than that! I have never been to Canada or the US and the mountains look stunning.

The race website is here


it is a good read with lots of information and great pictures. When I start the race you will be able to follow my progress on a googlemap on the race website as, like every other rider, I will be carrying a spot tracker

I will be trying to update this blog when I can. Hopefully Aidan will update it from time to time too. I have never used twatter (sorry twitter) but I may manage to sort it out before I start. Along the way your messages of encouragement will make a real difference to me so please send them to me if you feel like it! I am also raising money for the mental health charity Mind so please donate if you would like to.

No comments:

Post a Comment